There have been amendments to the Citizenship Act for applicants who are married, have a partner or cohabit with a Norwegian citizen. There have also been amendments to the Immigration Act regarding increased requirements for residence time for a permanent residence permit
Change in requirements for residence time in Norway
- For persons who are married, registered partner or cohabitant with a Norwegian citizen, the requirement for a period of residence in Norway to obtain citizenship will be raised from three to five years.
- For persons who are in Norway because they have protection or residence due to strong human considerations, the requirement for residence in Norway will be raised from three to five years to obtain a permanent residence permit. The change also applies to persons who have a permit based on family reunification, except in cases where the reference person has already been granted a permanent residence permit or Norwegian citizenship.
It is permitted to stay abroad for 10 months during these five years. Since there is a requirement to fulfill the conditions for a permanent residence permit to obtain Norwegian citizenship, the changes may be significant for those who do not already have a permanent residence permit. You can read more about the requirements for a permanent residence permit.
To whom do the changes apply?
- The change applies to you who have registered the application for citizenship in the application portal on 1 December 2020 or later.
- The change also applies to you who registered an application for citizenship in the Application Portal before 1 December 2020 if you did not meet the requirement for a three-year residence permit to obtain a permanent residence permit by 1 December 2020.
- The changes do not apply to you who, as by 1 December 2020, fulfilled the residence requirement of three years for the right to a permanent residence permit and who registered an application for citizenship in the Application Portal by 1 February 2021.
Here you will find information about calculating residence time in Norway.