(You can find more information on the citizenship main page.)
1. The application must be delivered in Norway
Applications for citizenship must always be delivered in Norway. You apply online and then personally hand in the supporting documents to the police.
2. Register your application online
Everyone can register their application or notification online, whether they wish to apply for citizenship , apply to retain their citizenship, or send in a notification about citizenship for Nordic citizens, adopted children or children with a Norwegian father. This is the easiest way to apply.
3. Everyone must hand in documents
Both applicants who register their applications online and those who hand in a paper version need to hand in necessary documentation.
Read more about which documents to hand in.
- If you apply online, you will at the same time book an appointment for handing in your documents to the police (or the Governor if you live on Svalbard). You will not have to wait in line when you turn up for your appointment.
- If are not applying online you need to contact the local police to find out when to hand in the documents along with the application form.
When you have handed in your documentation we will start to process your application.
To be released from Norwegian Citizenship by application
If you wish to apply to be released from Norwegian citizenship, you can find information about this here.
To be able to read the files on this page you need the programme Adobe Acrobat on your computer. You can download the programme for free
If you want to fill in the form on your computer, you need the programme Adobe Professional.