You must hand in these documents when you apply for a residence permit (Immigration Regulations § 6-14) Checklist for independent contractor (self-employed person with a company abroad)


The applicant is the person who wishes to visit or live in Norway. 

DUF number/date of birth:

How to use the list

When you turn up to your appointment with the police or embassy/consulate you must hand in this list and copies of the documents on this list. You must also present the original documents

If any of your documents are in a different language than Norwegian or English, you must also hand in a translation of the documents into Norwegian or English.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you have handed in all documents on the list which are required for your application. If all relevant documents are not handed in, this may lead to you having to wait longer for an answer or your application being rejected.

Please note: Some embassies may request additional documents based on local conditions if you are applying from abroad.

Documentation you must hand in when applying for the first time

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you hand in your application in Norway, you normally only need to show your passport and hand in the copies.
  • If you hand in your application abroad, you must normally hand in both your passport and the copies. If you need your passport back before you receive an answer to your application, please contact the place where you hand in the application. 
View explanationHide explanation

The signature form is the attachment you received via email when you registered your application online. Please print it and bring it with you. If you are handing in your application at a Danish embassy, please bring a filled-out application form instead. (

View explanationHide explanation

This can be a house, apartment, a room in a shared flat or similar. If you are renting, you must hand in a written rental contract which is approved by the house owner, manager or housing co-operative.  

It is recomended (but not required) that the apartment number (dwelling number) is stated on the contract. This number consists of an H and four digits, for example H0101. When you are filling in the application form, we will ask you for this number.

View explanationHide explanation

The contract must

  • document the nature of your contractual relationship
  • clearly state which services you are to provide and the length of the assignment
  • show that your payment is equal to the minimum for skilled workers or higher 
View explanationHide explanation

You must usually document that the business abroad is your sole proprietorship.

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you have completed an education or a degree at a university or university college, you must hand in your diploma or other documentation which shows what education or degree you have completed.
  • If you have completed a vocational training programme at upper secondary school level, you must hand in both a diploma and a transcript of your grades which shows how long the education lasted, the level and the content.
  • If you have taken education which you have not completed,  you must hand in documentation which shows how long the education lasted, the level and the content.

If you have previously handed in this documentation to the UDI, you do not have to hand it in again. 

View explanationHide explanation
  • Work certificates: You must provide work certificates from previous employers that contain detailed information about:
  • how long you worked there,
  • what training you received,
  • what work tasks you had and
  • what qualifications you have.

Courses: If you have courses in the profession, you can attach documentation to this as a supplement to the work certificates. The documentation must contain information about the duration/number of hours and the content of the courses.

You only need to document work experience in addition to, or instead of, documentation of education if the work experience should be part of the assessment of whether or not you are a skilled worker. 

Additional documents for some applications

If you submit your application in a country other than your home country

If you submit your application in Norway

View explanationHide explanation

For example: Visitor's visa, residence permit in another Schengen country and /or documentation which shows when you travelled into Norway/Schengen.

If you have a residence permit in Norway, you do not have to hand in anything. 

If you are to work in a profession for which recognition or authorisation is required

View explanationHide explanation

Check here if approval or authorization is necessary in your profession, and which recognition authority you must contact  (

If you want a representative to follow up your application in UDI on your behalf

View explanationHide explanation

You can use this form Form for granting Power of Attorney (pdf, 677 kB) ( or the form you received by email when you registered your application in the Application Portal.

If your are not going to stay and work in Norway during the whole period you have applied for a residence permit for

If you are going to work for more than one client

If you want to work during application processing