You must hand in these documents when you apply for a residence permit Checklist for researcher with own funds


The applicant is the person who wishes to visit or live in Norway. 

DUF number/date of birth:

How to use the list

When you turn up to your appointment with the police or embassy/consulate you must hand in this list and copies of the documents on this list. You must also present the original documents

If any of your documents are in a different language than Norwegian or English, you must also hand in a translation of the documents into Norwegian or English.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you have handed in all documents on the list which are required for your application. If all relevant documents are not handed in, this may lead to you having to wait longer for an answer or your application being rejected.

Please note: Some embassies may request additional documents based on local conditions if you are applying from abroad.

The term researcher refers to a person with a master's degree who is to engage in research.

Documentation you must hand in when applying for the first time

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you hand in your application in Norway, you normally only need to show your passport and hand in the copies.
  • If you hand in your application abroad, you must normally hand in both your passport and the copies. If you need your passport back before you receive an answer to your application, please contact the place where you hand in the application. 
View explanationHide explanation

The signature form is the attachment you received via email when you registered your application online. Please print it and bring it with you. If you are handing in your application at a Danish embassy, please bring a filled-out application form instead. (

View explanationHide explanation

You must have an invitation from or have entered into an agreement with a research institution in Norway. The invitation/agreement is to include a detailed description of the subject area, the research project and your research tasks. It must also include the name of the department/institute where, and the period in which, you will be conducting research in Norway.  

View explanationHide explanation

You must show that you have funds equivalent of 

NOK 128 887 per year

or that you will have a yearly income equivalent of this sum (or a combination of funds and income).

You must document this in one or more of these ways:

  • Statement of support from the State Education Loan Fund (Lånekassen) or documentation which shows that you receive other types of grants/financial support
  • A confirmation which states that you will receive pay from your employer in your home country during the stay 
  • A work contract for part time work in Norway which shows how many hours you will work per week, your pay and the duration of the contract. 
  • A bank statement from your bank account, or a statement from the research institute which shows that the money is deposited in the research institute's account.
View explanationHide explanation

This can be a house, apartment, a room in a shared flat or similar. If you are renting, you must hand in a written rental contract which is approved by the house owner, manager or housing co-operative.  

It is recomended (but not required) that the apartment number (dwelling number) is stated on the contract. This number consists of an H and four digits, for example H0101. When you are filling in the application form, we will ask you for this number.

View explanationHide explanation

Your CV must include your current position, education and places of education, work experience and employer(s). Your CV must also list your supervisors, references, publications and coauthors.

Additional documents for some applications

If you want a representative to follow up your application in UDI on your behalf

View explanationHide explanation

You can use this form Form for granting Power of Attorney (pdf, 677 kB) ( or the form you received by email when you registered your application in the Application Portal.

If you submit your application in a country other than your home country