You must hand in these documents with your application for a residence permit (Immigration Act section 40) Checklist for family immigration with cohabitant who holds a residence permit for work purposes


The applicant is the person who wishes to visit or live in Norway. 

DUF number/date of birth:

What you have to do to see what documents you have to submit

  • You must state your (the applicant’s) citizenship
  • You must answer a few questions about your cohabitant's (the reference person's) situation.

When you have done so, a list will appear that shows all the documents you have to submit with the application.

Remember that you have to click the grey button ‘Select’ in the blue field to move to the next question.

Who is the applicant and who is the reference person?

The applicant is the person who wants to move to Norway or continue living here and who needs a residence permit.

The reference person is the cohabitant living in Norway.