You must submit these documents when you apply for a residence permit Checklist for folk high school or a religion/belief-based school

DUF number/date of birth:

How to use the list

When you turn up to your appointment with the police or embassy/consulate you must hand in this list and copies of the documents on this list. You must also present the original documents

If any of your documents are in a different language than Norwegian or English, you must hand in a translation of the documents into Norwegian or English.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you have handed in all documents on the list which are required for your application. If all relevant documents are not handed in, this may lead to you having to wait longer for an answer or your application being rejected.

Please note: Some embassies may request additional documents based on local conditions if you are applying from abroad.

Documentation you must hand in when applying for the first time

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you hand in your application in Norway, you normally only need to show your passport and hand in the copies.
  • If you hand in your application abroad, you must normally hand in both your passport and the copies. If you need your passport back before you receive an answer to your application, please contact the place where you hand in the application. 
View explanationHide explanation

The cover letter is the attachment you received via email when you registered your application online. Please print it and bring it with you. If you are handing in your application at a Danish embassy, please bring a filled-out application form instead. (

View explanationHide explanation

This can be a house, apartment, a room in a shared flat or similar. If you are renting, you must hand in a written rental contract which is approved by the house owner, manager or housing co-operative.  

It is reccomended (but not required) that the apartment number (dwelling number) is stated on the contract. This number consists of an H and four digits, for example H0101.

If the educational institution/school is organising accommodation for you, it is sufficient that they have written this in your letter of admission, you do not need to hand in a separate rental contract. 

View explanationHide explanation

If you are attendig a folk high school you must have the equivalent of 

NOK 104 500 for the 2019/2020 school year


If you are attending a denominational college/bible school you must have 

NOK 110 200 per year


This can be documented by a statement of support from the State Education Loan Fund (Lånekassen),  documentation which shows that you receive a loan, grant or support from public funds from your home country, a bank statement from your account in a Norwegian bank or a statement from the school that you have deposited the amount in an account that the school has opened for this purpose, or a detailed work contract for any part time work you do. 

Additional documents for some applications

If you want a representative to follow up your application in UDI on your behalf

View explanationHide explanation

You can use this form Form for granting Power of Attorney (pdf, 677 kB) ( or the form you received by email when you registered your application in the Application Portal.

If you submit your application in a country other than your home country

If you are between 15 and 18 years old

View explanationHide explanation

You must hand in one of these two documents

Your parents must go to the embassy/consulate/Visa Application Centre to hand in the form or statement and show their passport or another form of ID with photo and signature. Alternatively , your parents can have the form/statement stamped by a notary public. 

Please note that this type of permit can only be given for a total of one year.