Lower fees for spouses, cohabitants and parents of refugees
Who will pay the new fee?
The fee of NOK 7 800 applies only when
- the family member in Norway has received a residence permit after applying for asylum, and
- the family member in Norway has not received a permanent residence permit yet
It applies only to these types of family members:
- spouses who got married before one of them traveled to Norway
- spouses who have children who are born or conceived before one of the spouses traveled to Norway
- cohabitants who have lived together for at least two years
- cohabitants who have children who are born or conceived before one of the cohabitants traveled to Norway
- parents of children under the age of 18 years old who are refugees in Norway
- a single parent over the age of 60 years old who has a child over the age of 18 years old in Norway
When does the change apply from?
The new fee applies for those who start to fill out a new application form after 1 April 2020. If you have already started filling out a form, you should delete this and start a new form.
If you have already paid, you can get the extra money refunded. If you have not delivered your application documents at the application centre yet, you can consider withdrawing your application and get a refund of the fee you have paid and apply again. Then you must make sure that you have time to register the new form within six months after the person in Norway was given asylum. If not, your application will be rejected if your family member in Norway does not have high enough income.