I am abroad with an expired residence permit - what do I do?

You must remember to apply for a renewal of your residence permit from Norway. It is a requirement that you submit your application for renewal to Norway's police in person. If you have travelled from Norway and are abroad when your permit expires, your application will usually not be processed. This applies if you have been granted a residence permit after applying for protection (asylum) in Norway.

However, in exceptional cases, UDI will consider if you can have your application for renewal processed, even if the application is handed in to a Norwegian embassy or diplomatic mission. For UDI to consider this, it must be circumstances beyond your control that prevented you from returning to Norway to deliver your application for

If you believe you meet the conditions for other residence permits, we recommend applying for that. If you have family members in Norway, you can read about family immigration requirements at UDI.no.