Received an answer You have received a permit for staying in Norway until you turn 18 years old
Why have you been granted a permit which is only valid until you turn 18 years old?
UDI has not granted you protection (asylum) in Norway. Because you have told us that you have no parents or caregivers in your home country, Norwegian authorities cannot send you home until you turn 18 years old.
We have therefore granted you a temporary residence permit in Norway until you turn 18.
What does this mean for you?
- You must leave Norway when you turn 18 years old.
- You cannot apply for a new residence permit after you have turned 18 years old.
- You can continue to live at a reception centre, but you will not be settled in a municipality.
- You will not be issued a a travel document (passport from Norway).
- Your family cannot move to Norway to live with you.
- You cannot be granted a permanent residence permit.
What are your rights?
- You have the right to go to school.
- You have the right to work (with the normal restrictions which apply to those under 18 in Norway).
- You are entitled to money if you stay in a reception centre.
- You can travel in and out of Norway (if you have a valid passport).
- You are entitled to appeal UDI’s decision. Your lawyer can help you to appeal.
What are your obligations?
- You must leave Norway when you reach the age of 18. If you do not go home voluntarily when you reach the age of 18, you may be forcibly returned by the police. (This does not apply if you have been allowed to remain in Norway while UDI and UNE consider your appeal.)
- You must notify the Norwegian Tax Administration if you move.
You can receive money and assistance to return home with IOM when you turn 18
You will get:
- free travel to your home country
- money to cover your most important needs during the first period of time after your return
- information and guidance before you leave Norway
You can find information about returning to your home country and how to apply on our pages with information about how to apply for assisted return.