Right of Recognised Refugees to travel in EU (2014)

This Ad Hoc Query concerns requirements for recognized refugees in order to travel within the Union.


Ad-Hoc Query on right of Recognised Refugees to travel in EU (pdf, 270 kB)


Cyprus issues recognized refugees a “temporary residence permit” which is renewed every three years. They wonder to what extent refugees with this permit and a refugee travel document may travel within the Union and ask the following questions:

  1. Would Member States allow a recognised refugee who holds a “temporary residence permit” and who has in his/her procession a refugee travel document according to the Geneva Convention, to travel to their territories for the purpose of residence/employment?
  2. Are there any Member States which will also require from a recognized refugee to be holder of a long-residence permit?

17 countries responded to the query, and there is some variance in responses. Most respond that such a person would be entitled to stay for up to 90 days, but would require a long term residence permit in, or would have to apply through ordinary procedures for third-country nationals, in order to work; i.e. a residence permit as a refugee does not entitle holders to exercise free movement in the Union. Hungary, however, gives refugees the same rights as citizens, including free movement.

Did you find what you were looking for?