Who can apply for assisted return?
- You who have had your application for protection (asylum) or other application for residence rejected
- You who are awaiting an answer to your application for protection (asylum)
- You who do not have legal residence in Norway and have not previously had a case registered with The UDI
Not everyone will have their application granted.
What kind of support can you be given?
- A plane ticket to your home country
- Assistance in obtaining travel documents
- Information and advice from the UDI and the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) in Norway and Somalia
- Help to plan the journey
- Financial support
You must apply early to receive as much financial support as possible.
- If you apply before your deadline for leaving the country has expired, or before you are given a deadline for leaving, you will receive NOK 15,000
- If you apply after your deadline for leaving the country has expired, you will receive NOK 5,000
Also, you will receive support in finding employment, training or business establishment valued at NOK 30,000 through the DRC in Somalia.
How will your return be organised?
- You can receive help on the journey and in connection with stopovers. People going to South-Central Somalia with a stopover in Mogadishu have their trip organised by the Police Immigration Unit. People going to Northern Somalia, with a stopover in Hargeisa, get the trip organised by the IOM
- Transport will normally be arranged for you all the way to your place of origin
How do you apply?
Go to application form
- You must create a user and fill in the UDI's application form for assisted return
- IOM, the asylum reception centre where you live and the UDI's regional office can help you with applying
If your application for assisted return is denied
- If you disagree with the decision from UDI you can write an appeal. When you appeal you should explain why the decision is wrong. You should also submit any new information or new documents if applicable.
- You can submit your appeal on «Appealing a decision» (external website), or by letter to:
UDI Returenheten – VARP
Postboks 2098 Vika
- If The UDI does not reverse the decision after considering your appeal, it will be assessed again by The Norwegian Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
- You still have the obligation to leave Norway. If your deadline for leaving Norway has expired you do not have the right to stay in Norway while your appeal is being processed.
- If you leave Norway while your appeal is being processed, please send us an email at Varp@udi.no with your contact information, so that we can get in touch with you.
If you want to withdraw your application for assisted return
If you wish to withdraw your application for assisted return, you must notify the UDI Returenheten by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
or by phone: 40 43 61 96.