EU/EEA nationals that are going to register
How to register
- You have been admitted to an accredited educational institution (external website) or an upper secondary school.
- You must be able to support yourself and any family members you will bring with you to Norway.
- You must hold private medical insurance or a European Health Insurance Card.
Rights and obligations
- You can work in addition to your studies.
- You can bring your spouse, cohabitant or children to Norway. They must also register.
- After five years in Norway, you can be granted permanent right of residence.
How the registration scheme works
- You can move to Norway and start working right away, but you must register no later than three months after your arrival in Norway.
- You only need to register once, regardless of how long you will be living in Norway. You can also, for example, go from being a student to being employed without having to re-register.
- You must fall into one of the categories described on this page the whole time you are living in Norway, for example employee or student.
- If you meet the requirements for registering, the police will issue you a registration certificate.
- Registration is free.