Marriages entered into in Norway
A marriage is validly entered into if you were married by an approved marriage solemnizer, for example
- The Church of Norway
- The Norwegian Humanist Association
- The District Court/city judge
Marriages entered into abroad
- If you married before either of you came to Norway, the marriage must be validly entered into pursuant to the laws of the country in which you married. In addition, you must both have been at least 16 years old when you married.
- If one of you is Norwegian or was living in Norway when you married, the marriage must have been validly entered into pursuant to the laws of the country in which you married. In addition, you must both have been at least 18 years old and have been present during the ceremony, and you cannot have been married to someone else at the same time.
- If you married at a Norwegian embassy, the marriage is validly entered into.
You can find more information on this page (the Norwegian Government, external website) (external website).