You must hand in these documents with your application for a residence permit (The Immigration Act section 48) Checklist for those who are getting married

The information on this page is personalised for

The applicant is a citizen of : Philippines

DUF number/date of birth:

How to use the checklist

Underneath is a list of the documents you need to submit when you apply for family immigration. Some of the documents you the applicant have to get and others the reference person need to get.

  • Print the list.
  • Mark every submitted document in the check list
  • Sign the last page.
  • You as the applicant should then submit this checklist, the questionnaire and copies of all the relevant documents in person. You must also bring the original documents. 

On this page, we use the words 'reference person' and 'applicant

  • The reference person = the family member living in Norway.
  • The applicant = the person who wants to move to Norway or continue living here and who needs a residence permit

Application documents 

View explanationHide explanation

The cover letter is the attachment you received via email when you registered your application online. Please print it and bring it with you. If you are handing in your application at a Danish embassy, please bring a filled-out application form instead. (

View explanationHide explanation

You can use this form Form for granting Power of Attorney, pdf, 710 kB (pdf, 677 kB) ( or the form you received by email when you registered your application in the Application Portal.

Identity documents for the applicant 

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you hand in your application in Norway, you normally only need to show your passport and hand in the copies.
  • If you hand in your application abroad, you must normally hand in both your passport and the copies. If you need your passport back before you receive an answer to your application, please contact the place where you hand in the application. 

Documents about your family

View explanationHide explanation

Some reference persons must provide additional documentation on divorce:

You who are the reference person, must provide documentation from the country in which you previously married indicating that your previous marriage has been dissolved there if:

  • you have previously been married to a person from the same country as the applicant, and
  • your former spouse received a residence permit for family immigration with you

As documentation that previous marriages have been dissolved abroad, the UDI accepts: 

  • Divorce certificate or annulment certificate in the former spouse's home country or from the country where you and your previous spouse were married, or
  • documentation from the former spouse's home country or the country where you and your former spouse married, showing that it is impossible to divorce or annul the marriage

If you cannot obtain documentation from abroad that your previous marriage is dissolved there, you must write an explanation the applicant can provide.

Documentation of the income of the reference person (please choose the cathegory which is relevant for the reference person)

You must document that the reference person has an income of at least 

NOK 264 264 per year pre-tax

 now. In addition, the reference person’s income last year must have been at about the same level. The reference person cannot have received any financial assistance from NAV (økonomisk sosialhjelp) during the last 12 months. Please check the income requirements, what kind of income that counts and whether you can be exempted from any of the requirements at

Documents you must hand in if the reference person works

View explanationHide explanation

In the contract/confirmation it must be clear how long the employment will last and the scope (full time or part-time) of the employment. If your work is temporary, you should enclose a confirmation from your employer if it is possible to prolong your contract.

View explanationHide explanation

Documents you must hand in if the reference person receives benefits from NAV

View explanationHide explanation

Documents you must hand in if the reference person is self-employed

View explanationHide explanation

Documents you must hand in if they apply to the reference person’s current situation

View explanationHide explanation

The reference person must have earned at least 

NOK 264 264 per year pre-tax


Housing documentation

Documentation of the requirement for four years full time work or studies (the four year requirement) 

You only need to meet this requirement if

  • you do not have children together, and have been living together for less than two years, or

  • you have children together, but the children were conceived after the reference person moved to Norway. (You do not need to fulfill the requirement if the child was conceived while you both had residence permits in Norway), and  

  • the reference person is not a Norwegian citizen, and came to Norway as a resettlement refugee, an asylum seeker, through family immigration, or was given a residence permit on the grounds of strong humanitarian considerations or a particular connection to Norway

Documentation which shows that the reference person has been in full time work or education in Norway for four years

If you are applying from Norway because you qualify as a skilled worker

View explanationHide explanation
  • If you have completed an education or a degree at a university or university college, you must hand in your diploma or other documentation which shows what education or degree you have completed.
  • If you have completed a vocational training programme at upper secondary school level, you must hand in both a diploma and a transcript of your grades which shows how long the education lasted, the level and the content.
  • If you have taken education which you have not completed,  you must hand in documentation which shows how long the education lasted, the level and the content.

If you have previously handed in this documentation to the UDI, you do not have to hand it in again. 

View explanationHide explanation

You must hand in documents which contain detailed information from your previous employers regarding how long you worked there, what training you were given, your work tasks and your qualifications. 

You only need to document work experience in addition to, or instead of, documentation of education if the work experience should be part of the assessment of whether or not you are a skilled worker. 

Originals and copies of the documents

Requirements for documents from Norway

You do not need to bring originals of documents from Norwegian authorities. You are only to hand in a copy of the document. The copy does not need to be stamped.

Requirements for documents from other countries than Norway

  • You must show all the documents in their original form, and your passport. The original documents from your home country must be legalised by the foreign authority. You can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or equivalent in your home country to get information about how to get your documents legalised.
  • Do you have documents from different countries? Check at what you need to do to get documents from different countries certified.
  • You must also bring copies of all the documents. If you hand in your application to the police in Norway you do not need to have the copies stamped. If you hand in your application abroad, the copies must be stamped by the authorities in your country, or by a notarius publicus.
  • If your documents are in a different language than Norwegian, English, German or French, they also have to be translated to Norwegian or English by an authorised/certified translator. It must be stated on the translation who translated the document and when.

Application questionnaire to be filled out by the applicant (not the reference person in Norway) 

The UDI will look at your answers when we process your application. It is therefore important that you fill in this questionnaire as accurately as possible, even if not all the questions are relevant to your situation. 


Information about you and your spouse / registered partner


Please use extra sheets of paper to write down your answers.



  1. Give a description of your relationship




  1. When, where and how did you meet?



  1. When did you get engaged? Who proposed? (Who decided you should get married?) Do you approve of the decision?



  1. In what way and how often do you and the reference person have contact with one another?



  1. Have you made any wedding plans? If so, what are they?




  1. Did you have an engagement ceremony? If so, please give details.




  1. Do you have relatives or friends in Norway?



  1. Which language(s) - unless you have the same mother tongue - do you and the reference person use to communicate with one another?




  1. With whom do you live now?




  1. Have you or the reference person previously been married? If yes, please list name, age, place of birth and place of residence of former spouse(s)



  1.  Do you and the reference person have any children together, or are you expecting one? If you have children together: Name and date of birth.




  1.  Do you or the reference person have any children from previous relationships? If yes, please list name, age, place of birth and place of residence of the children



  1. Are there any obstacles for entering into marriage, - if so, what are they?



  1. What is your occupation?



  1. What is your education?