Can I get an entry visa for skilled workers?
Skilled workers who need a visa to visit Norway can in some cases be issued an entry visa, so that they can travel to Norway in order to hand in their application for a residence permit to the police, or wait for an answer to their application for a residence permit.
Such a visa does not entitle you to work in Norway, but it does entitle you to stay in Norway while you wait for UDI to process your application for a residence permit.
To be granted such a visa, it must be probable that your application for a residence permit for skilled workers will be granted.
Please note! If you already have been granted a residence permit for work, you should not apply for an entry visa for skilled workers.
Requirements for entry visas
- You must have applied for, or are going to apply for, a residence permit for skilled workers with an employer in Norway or a residence permit for athletes or coaches.
- You must have received a concrete job offer from one specific employer in Norway.
- The job must normally be full-time.
- You must have qualifications as a skilled worker.
- The job you are offered must require qualifications as a skilled worker. You must have the qualifications that the job requires.
- If you are going to work in an occupation for which approval or authorisation is required (external website), you must have such approval or authorisation. Health personnel, for example, must enclose an authorisation or licence from the Norwegian Directorate of Health (external website).
How to apply for an entry visa
- You must apply at a Norwegian embassy. If you live in a country where a Swedish or Danish embassy represents Norwegian authorities, you must contact a Norwegian embassy in a country where Norwegian authorities are not represented by a Swedish or Danish embassy. Please see our overview of embassies in order to check if the embassy is Norwegian or not.
- Submit an application for a visitor visa, but write in the application that you wish to be granted an entry visa (D visa).
- If you haven't already submitted your application for a residence permit, you must now submit all the documents on the checklist for skilled workers.
- The embassy will consider your application for an entry visa. If your application is rejected, you can submit a written appeal to the embassy. The embassy will consider your application again. If they do not grant it, they will send it to UDI. UDI will consider the application again, and either reject it or grant it.