Both parents have collective protection

If both parents have been granted collective protection

When a child of foreign parents is born in Norway, the parents must apply for a residence permit for the child. This is to be done as early as possible following the birth.

Protection (asylum)

You may apply for protection (asylum) for your child.

If the child is eligible for collective protection, we will grant collective protection to the child. Read more about applying for protection

If you are living in an asylum reception centre you must present the confirmation of birth document you received from the hospital to those working at the centre. The asylum reception centre will send it to the UDI regional office in charge, and UDI will register an application for the child.

If you do not live in an asylum reception centre, you are to visit the local police station where you live to hand in the confirmation of birth document you received from the hospital. The police will then register an application for the child.

Family immigration

You may apply for a family immigration residence permit for your child.

If a child is granted a family immigration residence permit, its parents will normally have to obtain a passport for the child from their home country in order to travel outside Norway. The child can use the passport to visit its parents' home country.

If contacting the authorities or the embassy of the parents' home country in order to obtain a passport puts the parents at risk, it is possible to apply for a Norwegian immigrant passport (blue) for the child instead.

If neither the mother nor the father hold a residence permit that forms the basis for a permanent residence permit, then the child's permit will not form the basis for permanent residence either.