I have been granted collective protection and my permit is about to expire. Do I need to do anything?

Your permit is set to be extended automatically

If you have been granted collective protection, you will be granted an automatic extension of your residence permit when it expires. You do not have to do anything else to extend your permit. This applies to all extensions, regardless of whether it is the first or second time the permit is to be extended.

We will process most of the cases three weeks before the residence permit expires. You will receive a letter with more information when your case has been processed. If you have a digital mailbox (Digipost), you will receive the letter there. If you do not have Digipost, you will receive the letter in the mail. It will then take up to two weeks before you receive the letter.

You will still have the same rights as before to work, study and so on while you wait for the notice from UDI that your residence permit has been extended. You have these rights until you have received a response from UDI, even if your residence permit expires in the meantime.

The new permit will be valid for one year from the date your previous permit expires.

There are, however, some who will not have their permit extended

From 1 March 2024, you will not be granted an extension of your permit if, in addition to being a citizen of Ukraine, you are also a citizen of a country Norway considers safe. The exception to this rule is if you are a family member of someone who has been granted collective protection, and who does not have the citizenship of a safe country.

You will also not be granted an extension of your permit if you are not a Ukrainian citizen, and you have been granted collection protection because you are a family member of a Ukrainian citizen who is also a citizen of a country Norway considers safe.

By family member we mean

  • spouse or cohabitant
  • children under 18 years of age
  • other close family members, for instance childen over 18 years of age, grandparents or siblings.

In addition, you will not be granted an extended permit in the following cases

  • you have been granted a different type of residence permit in Norway
  • we have reason to believe that you have moved from Norway
  • we discover that you did not actually meet the requirements for collective protection
  • you have been outside Norway for longer than 6 months during the last year under collective protection

You will be notified if we do not extend your collective protection permit.

You will be issued a new residence card

If you are granted an extension, you will receive a new residence card by post. This does not apply to children who were 5 years of age or younger on the date when their residence permit was granted. In these cases, the child will be required to go to the police station to provide a fingerprint. A separate letter will be sent for such cases.

If you have registered your e-mail address with UDI, you will receive an e-mail when we extend your residence permit and when we order a new residence card. It may take up to 20 days from the date UDI or the police order order the residence card until you receive the card in your mailbox. If you do not receive your residence card within 20 days from the date UDI or the police ordered your card, you need to contact the police at the place you are living.

Make sure that your name is on your postbox

It is important that you have your name on your postbox to ensure that your residence card is delivered. If you have children, their names must also be on the postbox.

Make sure we that have your correct address

It is important that you keep your postal address up to date in the National Population Register (Folkeregisteret) (external website) so that we send the residence card to the right address. If you sign up for an electronic ID (e-ID) (external website), you will also be able to receive other communications from us online.