Have been granted permission to keep your permanent residence permit while living abroad

If your application for permission to stay outside Norway for more than two years without losing your permanent residence permit is granted, the decision will state why your application was granted and for how long you can stay abroad.

What you need to do now

  • If you are in Norway, and are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA, you must order a new residence card. On the card it will say that you have "permit to stay outside Norway without forfeit of right of residence".
  • If you are abroad when your old residence card expires, and you need a visa to travel into Norway again, you must contact a Norwegian embassy or consulate to get an entry visa. 
  • Please notify the Norwegian Tax Administration/National Registry if you move into or out of Norway.

Did you find what you were looking for?