Who can apply for assisted return?
- you whose application for protection (asylum) or another application for residence has been rejected.
- you who are waiting for a decision on your application for protection (asylum)
- you who have a temporary residence permit in Norway that is valid until you are 18 years old
What kind of support will you be given?
- a plane ticket to your home country
- health checks and necessary vaccinations
- help to obtain travel documents
- NOK 42 000 in cash. You will receive NOK 12 000 when you arrive in Afghanistan and NOK 10 000 after two months, NOK 10 000 after four months and the remainding NOK 10 000 after six months.
- NOK 10 000 in cash for caregivers in Afghanistan if they cooperate for assisted return
- NOK 2000 when you arrive in Kabul, which you can spend on temporary accommodation, and transport to your final destination in Afghanistan, if relevant.
What do you have to do before you leave Norway?
- You must inform us in the application form of who you are going to live with and where they live
- Your family must confirm that they will meet you when you arrive
- You must make a plan for how you will use your financial support. UDI must approve your plan.
What will happen when you are travelling?
- You will be told in advance when you are to leave, and you will be helped to the airport in Oslo
- You will be followed from Oslo to Kabul, where you will meet your family
- You and your family will receive transportation to you home.
How to apply?
- You must create a user account and fill in the UDI application form for assisted return.
- IOM, the asylum reception centre where you live and the UDI regional office can help you to apply.
If your application for assisted return is denied
- If you disagree with the decision from UDI you can write an appeal. When you appeal you should explain why the decision is wrong. You should also submit any new information or new documents if applicable.
- You can submit your appeal on «Appealing a decision» (external website), or by letter to:
UDI Returenheten – VARP
Postboks 2098 Vika
- If UDI does not reverse the decision after considering your appeal, it will be assessed again by The Norwegian Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
- You still have the obligation to leave Norway. If your deadline for leaving Norway has expired you do not have the right to stay in Norway while your appeal is being processed.
- If you leave Norway while your appeal is being processed, please send us an email at Varp@udi.no with your contact information, so that we can get in touch with you.
If you want to withdraw your application for assisted return
If you wish to withdraw your application for assisted return, you must notify UDI by email: email@example.com, or by phone: +47 23 35 16 00.