Requirements of the student
- You must pay an application fee.
- You must have been admitted to an upper secondary school.
- You must have enough money to live on.
- You must have somewhere to live.
- The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed school.
Requirements relating to the education
The education must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You have received an offer of admission to a Norwegian school through an exchange partnership with a county or a non-profit organization
- You are going to attend an IB (International Baccalaureate) study programme
- You are going to attend either the Norwegian College of Elite Sport, Barrat Due Institute of Music, or the Bårdar Academy
Exceptions: If you hold a residence permit in another Nordic country, no requirements apply to the school. If you are a Russian national living in the Barents region, you can get a residence permit for studies at a general studies program.
Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a study permit
- If you are granted a study permit, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week in addition to your studies and full-time during holidays.
- You cannot apply for a permanent residence permit in Norway immediately after having held a study permit.
How to apply