Want to apply Local border traffic permit for people from the Barents Region
- A local border traffic permit is a card that permits you to visit the border area.
- You can visit the border area as often as you wish for up to 15 days at a time.
- The local border traffic permit is valid for the same period as your passport, but never for more than three years at a time. When your local border traffic permit expires, you can apply for a new one.
What is the border area?
- Areas in Sør-Varanger municipality that are within about 30 kilometres of the Norwegian-Russian border.
- The municipalities of Zapolyarny and Korzunovo, as well as areas in the municipalities of Nikel and Pechenga that are within 30 km of the border. View a map of the border area (jpg, 9 MB)
Requirements for being granted a local border traffic permit
- You must have a valid passport
- You and your spouse must have had legal residence in the border area for the past three years.
- If you are under the age of 18 or are incapacitated for work and live with our parents who support you, it is sufficient that your mother or father have had legal residence in the border area for the past three years.
- You must not be subject to a prohibition against entry to Norway or Schengen.
- You must have a need to cross the border often, for example because you have family, friends or business contacts in the border area or because you are an active participant on the cultural scene there.
- You do not need to be a Russian citizen.
How to apply
1. Gather all the documentation you need for the application
- valid domestic passport
- valid international passport
- a copy of the ID-page and the page showing your residence registration in your domestic passport
- a copy of the ID-page of your international passport
- signed cover letter
2. Fill in your application
Register your application at the Application Portal Norway (external website), pay the fee and book an appointment with the Consulate General in Murmansk.
3. Go to the Consulate General in person to submit you application
Go to the Consulate General in Murmansk (external website) to submit your documentation and have your fingerprints and photo taken.