Family member of military personnel

If you are a spouse, cohabitant or child of military personnel, and you are not going to work in Norway, you do not need to apply for a residence permit.

If you are going to work or run a business in Norway, you must apply for a residence permit as a family member of military personnel.

Requirements for obtaining a residence permit

  • You must be the spouse, partner or child of
    • military personnel belonging to a member state of NATO, or
    • military or civilian personnel in the US forces.
  • You must have received confirmation of your status from the Norwegian Ministry of Defence.