Requirements relating to renewal
- You must pay an application fee.
- You must either be a student in upper secondary school or a student at a university college/university. Students at religion/belief-based schools or folk high schools, and those who have a residence permit for skilled workers who are going to study Norwegian, cannot apply for renewal of their residence permits.
- You must have had a normal study progress. This means that you cannot be more than one year behind in your studies.
- You must still have a place on a study programme at a university college or university, or at an upper secondary school.
- The education must be full-time.
- You must have enough money to live on, i.e. at least NOK 111 657 per year. This money may consist of student loans, grants, own funds that you have in your account in a Norwegian bank, or a combination of the above. If you have a part-time job in Norway, e income from this work may be included.
Right to work in addition to your studies
- When you apply for renewal, we will consider whether you should continue to be entitled to work part-time in addition to your studies. You can only work if your place of study is of the opinion that you will be able to manage to work in addition to your studies.
- You can apply for a permit to work full-time during the academic year if the work is relevant to your studies. You have to ask for this in writing when you apply, or later.
How to apply