Who can have dual citizenship?
You can have dual citizenship if
- you wish to acquire Norwegian citizenship, but for various reasons cannot be released from your previous citizenship.
- To become a Norwegian citizen, you must in principle renounce your previous citizenship, but some can be exempted from this requirement.
- If one of your parents is Norwegian, you probably automatically became a Norwegian citizen when you were born. If your other parent's home country has the same rule, you will also be given that country's citizenship and you will thus have dual citizenship. This only applies if you automatically became a citizen of both countries when you were born, and not if your parents took any action (for example submitted an application or notification) in order for you to be granted the second citizenship.
- You will not lose your Norwegian citizenship if you have been granted a new citizenship without having asked for it, and, in such cases, you will have dual citizenship. This can happen in some countries, for example because you have married. If, on the other hand, you have applied for or clearly accepted citizenship in another country, you will normally lose your Norwegian citizenship.
- you received one citizenship from each of your parents when you were born.
- you have Norwegian citizenship and are later granted citizenship in another country without having asked for it.
What does it entail to have dual citizenship?
- You have the same rights and obligations in relation to the Norwegian state as other Norwegian citizens.
- You are entitled to have two passports, one from each country.
- In principle, you are entitled to consular aid and help from the authorities of both countries. However, it can be difficult for Norwegian authorities to help you if you are staying in the country in which you have your other citizenship.
In principle, as a Norwegian citizen, you are obliged to serve your military service in Norway, but the rules vary depending on which other country you are a citizen of. If you have questions about which rules apply in your case, you can contact the Norwegian Armed Forces (external website).