Who must have passed the test?
You must have passed the test if you are between 18 and 67 years old when you hand in your application documents to the police.
What tests meet the requirement?
You must have passed a test in oral (spoken) Norwegian on at least level A2, for example:
- Norskprøven from Skills Norway (with the result A2, B1 or B2)
- Norskprøve 2 or Norskprøve 3 (these tests were replaced by Norskprøven in 2014, and are not given any more)
- Trinn 3-eksamen
- Sign language communication test (prøve i tegnspråklig kommunikasjon) with the result A2, B1 or B2
Have you already passed the test?
If you have already passed such a test when you participated in the tuition in Norwegian language and social studies, you do not need to take it again now.
If you are not sure if you have passed such a test, please contact the municipality (kommune) where you took the tests.
Do you wish to take the test now?
If you have not already taken the test, you must take it now.
You will find information about the Norwegian tests on the website of Skills Norway (external website).
If you have questions about the test, you must contact Skills Norway.
Is it possible to be exempted from taking such a test?
You can ask for an exemption from the requirement to have passed the test if you are in one of these situations:
- You have “adequate knowledge” of the Norwegian or Sami language. You must hand in documentation which shows that you have adequate knowledge when you apply.
- You are seriously or chronically ill. Exemptions are only granted in exceptional circumstances. You must document your illness by means of a medical certificate.
- There are other weighty (important and serious) reasons why you have not passed the test. Exemptions are only granted in exceptional circumstances. You must document why it would be unreasonable not to grant you an exemption.
- The municipality has previously granted you an exemption from the requirement to have passed an oral Norwegian test or from the Norwegian language tuition requirement because of illness. You must enclose a copy of the municipality's decision.