Residence permits for children who are born in Norway

When a child of foreign parents is born in Norway, the parents must apply for a residence permit, register the child as an EU/EEA national or apply for a residence card for family members of EU/EEA nationals. Apply as soon as possible after the birth.

The information on this page is personalised for

Which alternative describes the father?: is a Norwegian citizen


Please choose the alternative which describes the mother.

If the mother does not have parental responsibility for the child, and is not a Norwegian citizen, please choose “does not have parental responsibility for the child”

Norwegian citizenship

If one of the parents was a Norwegian citizen when the child was born, the child also automatically became a Norwegian citizen when he or she was born.

You therefore do not have to apply for a residence permit for your child, and you can apply for a Norwegian passport for the child from the police (external website).

This is also the case if the child also became a citizen of another country when he or she was born without you, the parents, having requested it.

However, if you have asked for or applied for the child to get citizenship of another country, the child will lose his or her Norwegian citizenship. If this applies to you, please contact the UDI for advice regarding what type of residence permit to apply for.

If none of the parents was a Norwegian citizen when the child was born, but became one later, please click or ‘Reset all’ and choose the alternatives which describe the situation when the child was born. 

Would you like to help us improve our website?

Did you find what you were looking for?