Who must have passed the test?
You must have passed the test if you
- handed in your application documents to the police after 1 January 2017 (even if you had filled in the application form in the Application Portal before 1 January), and
- are between 18 and 67 years old when you hand in your application documents to the police.
What tests meet the requirement?
Have you already passed the test?
If you have already taken such a test when you participated in the tuition in Norwegian language and social studies, you do not need to take it again now.
Please note! You must have taken the test in Norwegian. If you have only taken the social studies test in your own language, you must take it again in Norwegian.
If you are not sure if you have taken such a test, please contact the municipality (kommune) where you took the tests.
Do you wish to take the test now?
If you have not already taken such a test, you must take it now.
On the website of Skills Norway, you will find information about the social studies test (external website) and information about the citizenship test (external website)
If you have questions about the tests, you must contact Skills Norway .
Is it possible to be exempted from taking such a test?
You can ask for an exemption from the requirement to have passed the test if you are in one of these situations:
- You have done social studies at a Norwegian lower secondary school or a Norwegian upper secondary school and received a final assessment grade. You must hand in a transcript of your grades.
- You have completed Norwegian social studies at a university or university college level, corresponding to 10 credits. You must hand in a transcript of your grades and information about the study you have completed.
- You are seriously or chronically ill. Exemptions are only granted in exceptional circumstances. You must document your illness by means of a medical certificate.
- There are other weighty (important and serious) reasons why you have not passed the test. Exemptions are only granted in exceptional circumstances. You must document why it would be unreasonable not to grant you an exemption.
- The municipality (kommunen) has previously granted you an exemption from the requirement for tuition in social studies, or the requirement to have passed the test, due to illness. You must enclose a copy of the municipality's decision.