I already have a residence permit in Norway and have applied for protection (asylum)

If you have a permanent residence permit, or a temporary residence permit that forms the basis for a permanent residence permit, you cannot be granted protection (asylum) in Norway.

Since you have a residence permit, you can continue to live in Norway even if your application for protection is rejected.

What happens to my application now?

  • If we have the information we need to process your application, you will not be interviewed by UDI.
  • You will receive the decision letter in your mailbox, so it is important that you mark your mailbox with your name.
  • If your application for protection is rejected because you have another basis for residence in Norway, you will not be assigned a lawyer.

What should I do if my previous residence permit is about to expire or has expired?

If your residence permit has expired or is about to expire, it is important that you apply for renewal of the permit as soon as possible.

What happens if my permit in Norway becomes invalid?

If your permit becomes invalid, UDI will assess your need for protection based on the situation in your home country. This may be relevant if:

  • UDI revokes your permit, or you are deported.
  • There is a change in your personal circumstances which might lead to your permit becoming invalidated. In that case, you must document the change. For example, if a condition for your permit is that you live with your child, and you no longer do so, you have to document that the child lives elsewhere.

I want to withdraw my application. What do I do?

If you wish to withdraw your application, you must write a letter to UDI in which you clearly state that you are withdrawing your application for protection (asylum). The letter must include your DUF number and your signature. You can find your DUF number on your residence card or on case papers from UDI.

Send the letter to UDI by post to:

Postboks 2098 Vika 
0125 Oslo

When we receive your letter, we will remove your application from consideration. You can apply for protection again later if your other residence permit loses its validity.

I am experiencing violence or coercion. What can I do?

There are several people who can help you.

  • In urgent and life-threatening situations, call 112 (police) or 113 (ambulance). If you are not in an emergency, but need contact with the police, call 02800.
  • If you need to talk to someone, you can call the VO line at 116 006. The VO line is a helpline for those who experience violence or abuse in close relationships. See volinjen.no (external website) for information in several languages.
  • If you are under 18 years old, you can call the emergency line for children and youths (Alarmtelefonen for barn og unge) at 116 111. This is a free service for children and young people who are exposed to violence, abuse and neglect. See 116111.no (external website) for information in several languages.

Did you find what you were looking for?