Seasonal workers who still are unable to return to their home country
To be granted an extended residence permit, there must be significant and long-term obstacles to returning to your home country due to the coronavirus situation. Entry restrictions and a stop in the air traffic in your home country are such obstacles.
This mainly applies to the following countries:
Angola, Botswana, India, Laos, Lesotho, Madagascar, Myanmar and Vietnam.
You will not get an extended residence permit if you come from a country with short-term return problems. For example, you will not be granted an extended residence permit because of expensive airline tickets, a few cancelled flights or if there is a quarantine obligation upon arrival.
Requirements for obtaining an extended residence permit as a seasonal worker
- There are obstacles, as described above, to returning to your home country.
- You have, or have had, a residence permit following the temporary provision for seasonal workers who are unable to return to their home country due to the corona pandemic (utlendingsforskriften § 6-3 b).
- You must have a job offer as a seasonal worker in Norway with full-time work and Norwegian pay and working conditions.
You may work as soon as a statement from the employer and a new job offer form have been uploaded and sent to UDI. This presupposes that the other conditions for the permit are met.
You may get a residence permit for the same length as the job offer, but no longer than until 31 December 2021.
The employer must apply for an extension on your behalf
Your employer must apply for this permit on your behalf. The employer must provide you with a job offer and confirm that you are still staying in Norway in a statement form. You do not have to meet with the police to hand in the application.
Information for the employer who is to apply on behalf of seasonal workers
How to apply as an employer for an extended residence permit for a seasonal worker who is not allowed to return home:
- You must upload the necessary documents and send them to UDI. Here you can see how to send the documents electronically.
- You do not have to pay an application fee.
As an employer, you must upload and send these documents:
- Statement from the employer (pdf, 139 kB) that the seasonal worker is still in Norway (this form is only available in Norwegian).
- Job offer form (pdf, 2,3 MB) (the form is only available in Norwegian).