One parent has protection (asylum), and the other has collective protection

If one parent has been granted protection (asylum), and the other parent has been granted collective protection

When a child of foreign parents is born in Norway, the parents must apply for a residence permit for the child. This is to be done as early as possible following the birth.

Protection for family members of refugees (derived refugee status)

You may apply for protection for family members of refugees (derived refugee status) on behalf of the child.

Children who are granted derived refugee status will be issued a refugee travel document (green). Children cannot visit their parents' home country using a refugee travel document.

If the parents lose their refugee status at a later point in time, the child will lose its refugee status as well.

Protection (asylum)

You may apply for protection (asylum) for your child.

If the child is eligible for collective protection, we will grant collective protection to the child. Read more about applying for protection

In order to apply you must visit the local police station where you live and hand in the confirmation of birth document you received from the hospital. The police will then register an application for the child.

Family immigration

You may apply for a family immigration residence permit for your child.

If a child is granted a family immigration residence permit, its parents will normally have to obtain a passport for the child from their home country in order to travel outside Norway. The child can use the passport to visit its parents' home country.

If contacting the authorities or the embassy of the parents' home country in order to obtain a passport puts the parents at risk, it is possible to apply for a Norwegian immigrant passport (blue) for the child instead.