How to get a residence card if you applied on 16 April 2021 or later
What is a residence card?
A residence card is a plastic card in credit card format that proves that you have been granted a residence permit in Norway. The police will order a residence card for you.
Most people can get a residence card without booking a new appointment with the police. The police will send you the residence card in the mail, and you do not have to book an appointment. Read below who must book an appointment to get a residence card.
What do you need to do to receive the card in the mail?
- If you are a new mail recipient in Norway, fill in this form (external website, opens in new window) and hand it in at a post office or in-store post office. Remember to bring identification.
- Check that you are registered with the correct postal address at Posten (external website), if you are already registered as a postal recipient. The site requires login with BankID or MinID.
- Make sure you have your name on the mailbox, otherwise you will not receive the card. If the card gets lost in the mail, it will take some time before you can get a new one.
- You should not book trips abroad until you have received the new residence card.
Who must book an appointment to get a residence card?
- You who have an expired Norwegian alien's passport or travel document for refugees, which you have not already given to the police.
- If you have applied for a residence permit in accordance with the Brexit regulations, you will be notified to book an appointment after your application has been processed.
How to book an appointment?
To book an appointment, you must log in to the Application Portal. Go to the overview of your applications and press «View application». On the receipt page you get to, you can book an appointment.
Have you sent an application for a permanent residence permit after 10 January 2022 or applied for a permit according to the Brexit regulations? Then you will probably find your application on My applications. After you have logged in, you can go to your application and book an appointment.
Booking an appointment by phone:
If you did not use the Application Portal when you applied for a residence permit, you must instead call your local police district to book an appointment. You cannot call the UDI to book an appointment.