Who can apply?
- You must have been granted protection (asylum) or residence on grounds of strong humanitarian considerations, or have been granted family immigration with a person who belongs to one of these groups.
- UDI offers assisted repatriation support to all countries, but cannot organise the journey to all countries. The offer depends at all times on the security situation in the country where you are to return.
- You must provide a Norwegian bank account number in the application form.
- You cannot receive repatriation support if you are a Norwegian citizen.
What kind of support will you be given?
- The UDI will pay for your journey and book the tickets for you. You cannot buy plane tickets on your own.
- You will receive NOK 15,000 to cover the cost of repatriation. You will be paid the money before you leave Norway.
How to apply
UDI accepts and processes all applications for financial grants for return to the home country.
Fill in the application form:
Children under the age of 18 must apply together with their parents. If only one parent is travelling with the child, the other parent in Norway must provide written confirmation that he or she accepts this.
Send the form to:
Postboks 2098 Vika
If you have questions about the application processing for financial grants for return to your home country, you can call us at +47 23 35 16 00.When you are asked what type of case you are calling about, press 7 (assisted return). You can also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org..
Are you allowed to return to Norway?
If you have a residence permit with refugee status (protection/asylum), you can lose your refugee status if you voluntarily return to your home country and reside there. Read more about "Losing a residence permit or citizenship" here.
Do you have to repay the grant if you come back to Norway?
If you move back to Norway, you must repay all or parts of the cash support you received when you left Norway. The amount you have to pay back depends on how long you stayed in your home country.
Rates for the repayment of repatriation grants:
|Number of months spent in the home country||Amount to be repaid|
|Less than 12 months||NOK 15,000|
|13–18 months||NOK 10,000|
|18–24 months||NOK 5,000|
|More than 24 months||NOK 0|
If you are moving back to Norway because you had to flee from harassment in your home country, you can apply for an exemption from repaying the grant.