Child under 18 who is moving to parents in Norway

Please note! If the child is born in Norway, please check what type of residence permit you should apply for. There might be several options.

Requirements for the applicant

  • If only one of your parents is living in Norway, your other parent must consent to you living in Norway. This is only necessary if your parents have joint parental responsibility.
  • If you are adopted, the adoption must be valid in your home country and must be approved by the Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs in Norway (external website). This is only necessary if the adoption took place after one or both of your adoptive parents moved to Norway. 

Requirements for the reference person

  • You must have or have applied for a residence permit as a student at a university college or university.
  • You must have at least one year left of your studies in Norway.
  • You must have an income of at least 

    NOK 320 274 per year pre-tax

    . This can be income from employment, loans or grants received in connection with studies, and money that you or the applicant has in an account.