Adults with a residence permit on grounds of strong humanitarian considerations
To be eligible for an immigrant's passport, you must meet the requirement listed below. If you do not meet the requirements, you will normally not be issued an immigrant's passport, even if you need an identity document or want to go on holiday.
Requirements that apply to everyone
- You must pay an application fee.
- You hold a residence permit on grounds of strong humanitarian considerations. If this applies to you, the letter you received from UDI when you were granted your residence permit will say 'utlendingsloven §38'.
- You must be in Norway when you apply.
- The Norwegian authorities cannot be in any doubt about your identity.
- You cannot have been convicted of any serious crimes.
In addition, you must meet one of the following requirements
- It is dangerous for you to contact the embassy of your home country and/or the authorities of your home country. When UDI considers whether you meet this requirement, we consider the reason why you were permitted to stay in Norway and the present situation in your home country.
- Your application for a passport from your home country has been rejected.