Family member of a refugee

If you wish to apply for a refugee travel document, you will at the same time apply for refugee status. 

What is derived refugee status?

  • If the family member you were granted family immigration with has been granted refugee status in Norway, you can also apply for refugee status. This is called 'derived refugee status'.
  • You can be granted refugee status because UDI assumes that you risk persecution in your home country as well.
  • Refugee status gives you the same rights as your family member. For example, you will be issued a refugee travel document.
  • You apply for refugee status and a refugee travel document at the same time. If your application is approved, you will be granted a residence permit on the grounds of protection and issued a refugee travel document.
  • We recommend that you apply when you arrive in Norway, but you may also apply later.
  • If you are over the age of 18, and you are in doubt as to whether you meet the requirements for derived refugee status, you should make sure you have a valid family immigration permit until you have received an answer to your application for a refugee status. If your family immigration permit is expiring soon, you should renew it. 

Requirements for being granted derived refugee status and a travel document

  • You must be the spouse, cohabitant or child (under the age of 18) of a refugee who has been granted protection.
  • You must have been a family before the refugee left the home country (does not apply to children born at a later date). 
  • You must have the same citizenship as the refugee.
  • You must want refugee status. If you are granted refugee status, you cannot visit your home country and you must hand in your passport from your home country.