Child under the age of 18
Please note! If the child is born in Norway, please check what type of residence permit you should apply for. There might be several options.
Requirements for being granted a permanent residence permit
- You must have resided in Norway continuously for the past three years. For some groups, it is a requirement that you have stayed continuously in Norway for the past five years.
- You must have held residence permits that form the basis for a permanent residence permit. You must have held valid residence permits the whole time, and still hold one when you apply for a permanent residence permit.
- If you have been granted protection (asylum), the time you have had a residence permit will be counted from the date when you applied for asylum.
- If you are 15 years old or older: You cannot have been convicted of a criminal offence or been ordered to undergo enforced psychiatric treatment or care.
- If you are 16 years old or older: You must normally have completed mandatory tuition in the Norwegian language and social studies and pass the concluding tests, or document that you have been granted exemptions by the municipality
- If you have received a final assessment grade in Norwegian at upper secondary school or upper secondary school, you do not need to take a separate course in Norwegian and social studies, but you must apply to the municipality for an exemption from the requirement for education in Norwegian and social studies. It is not sufficient to present a diploma from the upper secondary school or upper secondary school.