• You have been admitted to an accredited educational institution (external website) or an upper secondary school.
  • You must be able to support yourself and any family members you will bring with you to Norway.
  • You must have a European Health Insurance Card or private health insurance. As a student, a European Health Insurance Card may be sufficient. You should check with the authorities in your home country how they will assess your extended stay in Norway as a student. If they find that you, as a student in Norway, can be considered to have moved your habitual residence, you are no longer covered by your European Health Insurance Card. In that case you need private health insurance for the first 12 months you are a student in Norway.

Rights and obligations

  • You can work in addition to your studies.
  • You can bring your spouse, cohabitant or children to Norway. They must also register.
  • After five years in Norway, you can be granted permanent right of residence.

How the registration scheme works

  • You can move to Norway and start working right away, but you must register no later than three months after your arrival in Norway.
  • You only need to register once, regardless of how long you will be living in Norway. You can also, for example, go from being a student to being employed without having to re-register.
  • While you live in Norway, you must belong to one of the residence categories described on this page. You may be an employee, self-employed, family member, student, have your own funds, or be employed by a foreign company. If you are a student or are here on your own funds, you must have insurance.
  • If you meet the requirements for registering, the police will issue you a registration certificate.
  • Registration is free.