Working holiday for young adults from Australia

Australian citizens under the age of 31 can be granted a residence permit to take longer holidays and work in Norway.

Requirements of the applicant

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must be citizen of Australia. It is not sufficient to be a permanent resident of Australia.
  • You must be over the age of 18 and not have turned 31 when you apply.
  • You must have enough money to live on for the three first months of your stay in Norway. This can be money in the bank and/or a concrete offer of paid work. You must have 

    NOK 13 790‬ per month

    , i.e. 

    NOK 41 370 for the first three months

  • You cannot work for the same employer for more than six months while you are in Norway.
  • You must be in good health. This means that it must not be likely that you will need to be hospitalised while you are in Norway.
  • You cannot be granted this type of permit if you plan to study for more than three months. In such case, you have to apply for a residence permit for study purposes.

 Rights and obligations

  • You can work while you are in Norway, but not for more than six months for the same employer.
  • You can be granted a permit for one year at a time, for a total of maximum two years. You may be over the age of 31 if you are applying for renewal of your permit. 
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
  • Your family members cannot apply for a family immigration permit to come and live with you in Norway.