Working holiday for young adults from Canada

Canadian citizens under the age of 36 can be granted a residence permit to take longer holidays and work in Norway.

Requirements of the applicant

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must be citizen of Canada. It is not sufficient to be a permanent resident of Canada.
  • You must reside in Canada.
  • You must be over the age of 18 and not have turned 36 when you apply.
  • You must sign a declaration that you will take out medical insurance and full hospital insurance before entering Norway.
  • Your activities in Norway must fall under one of the following categories:
    • Work experience You have completed higher education and want more training through employment and to increase your knowledge of the Norwegian language and Norwegian society and culture.
    • Studies. You are studying in Canada and want to complete part of the study programme at a university or university college in Norway. The university or university college must have an exchange agreement with your place of study in Canada.
    • Temporary secondment. You are going to be seconded to a Norwegian company as part of your studies or training. This can be both paid and unpaid work.
    • Holiday work. You are studying at a university or university college in Canada and wish to work in Norway during your holiday.
    • Tourist. You are going on holiday in Norway, but you also wish to work during your stay. 
  • You must have enough money to live on for the three first months of your stay in Norway. This can be money in the bank and/or a concrete offer of paid work. You must have 

    NOK 12 537‬ per month

    , i.e. 

    NOK 37 611 for the first three months

Rights and obligations

  • You can work while visiting Norway. If you have been granted a permit as a tourist, you can only work for six months for the same employer.
  • You can be granted a permit for one year at a time, for a total of maximum two years. You may be over the age of 36 if you are applying for renewal of your permit. 
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
  • Your family members cannot apply for a family immigration permit to come and live with you in Norway.