Working holiday for young adults from Japan

Japanese citizens under the age of 31 can be granted a residence permit to take longer holidays and work in Norway.

Requirements of the applicant

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must be citizen of Japan. It is not sufficient to be a permanent resident of Japan.
  • You must reside in Japan.
  • You must be over the age of 18 and not have turned 31 when you apply.
  • You must have enough money to live on for the three first months of your stay in Norway. This can be money in the bank and/or a concrete offer of paid work. You must have 

    NOK 13 790‬ per month

    , i.e. 

    NOK 41 370 for the first three months

  • You cannot work for the same employer for more than six months while you are in Norway.
  • You must be in good health, i.e. it must not be likely that you will need to be hospitalised while you are in Norway. You must also have taken out a medical insurance which is valid for the entire duration of your stay in Norway.
  • You cannot be granted this type of permit if you plan to study for more than three months. In such case, you have to apply for a residence permit for study purposes. 

Rights and obligations

  • You can work while you are in Norway, but not for more than six months for the same employer.
  • You can be granted a permit for a maximum of one year in total.
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
  • Your family members cannot apply for a family immigration permit to come and live with you in Norway.