Foreign ships sailing between Norwegian ports
You must apply for a residence permit if you are going to work on board a foreign-registered ship that is to carry cargo or passengers between Norwegian ports for a continuous period of at least three months. The period of three months is deemed to be continuous even if the ship has been on two short journeys or assignments to other countries for up to a total of ten days.
Requirements of the employee
- You must pay an application fee.
Requirements relating to the employment relationship
- You must have received a concrete offer of full-time work on board a foreign-registered ship that carries cargo or passengers between Norwegian ports.
- The pay and working conditions must not be poorer than is normal in Norway.
Rights and obligations
- If you are to change ships, you must apply for a new permit.
- You can be granted a permit for one year at a time.
- The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
- Your family members cannot apply for a family immigration permit to come and live with you in Norway.