Athletes or coaches
Requirements of the employee
- You must pay an application fee.
Requirements relating to your qualifications
- You must either be an athlete who is going to participate in top-level sports or a coach in top-level sports.
- You must have received confirmation from the relevant member association of the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports (e.g. the Football Association of Norway) that you have the qualifications required, and at what level you are going to participate.
Requirements relating to the employment relationship
- You must have received a concrete job offer from one specific employer in Norway.
- The sport concerned must be a top-level sport. Examples include the top two divisions in women's and men's football and the top division in basketball. We will consider whether the sport is at a high enough level in each individual case.
- The job must normally be full-time.
- The pay and working conditions must not be poorer than is normal in Norway. That means that your pay cannot be poorer than what Norwegian athletes or coaches are paid in your sports club. The pay must be at least
NOK 296 550 per year pre-tax.
Rights and obligations
- You can get a residence permit for one year at a time.
- After three years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit in Norway.
- Your family can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.
- You can change employers without applying for a new residence permit. You must perform the same type of work, however.
- If you plan to carry out work of a different type, you must submit a new application for a residence permit. You may not start work of a different type until you have been granted a new residence permit.