Self-employed persons with a company abroad

Requirements of the employee

Requirements relating to your education/qualifications

You must have one of the following types of education/qualifications:

  • A completed vocational training programme of at least three years at upper secondary school level, for example as a carpenter or health worker. There must be a corresponding vocational training programme in Norway.
  • Completed education or degree from a university/ university college, for example a bachelor's degree as an engineer or nurse
  • Special qualifications are skills acquired through long professional experience, possibly in combination with courses and some education. You must have as high competence as someone who has completed vocational education from upper secondary school. Generally, you must have at least six years of work experience. For example, suppose you have work experience as a painter. In that case, you must present detailed work certificates from previous employers that show that you have learned and can do the same as a person with a professional education as a painter. It takes a lot to get permission in such cases. Many applications are rejected.

Requirements relating to the employment

  • You must be a self-employed person with an established business abroad. 
  • The business concerned must normally be your own sole proprietorship. The business cannot be a limited company. 
  • You must have entered into a contract to carry out an assignment for a business in Norway.
  • The business in Norway must have a registered business address here.
  • As a rule, the offer of an assignment must be for one specific enterprise in Norway.
  • Your remuneration must not be poorer than is normal in Norway
  • Your qualifications as a skilled worker must be relevant to your ability to complete the assignment.
  • If you are going to carry out an assignment in an occupation for which recognition or authorisation is required (external website), you must have such approval or authorisation.

Rights and obligations

  • If you are going to carry out assignments other than that described in the contract or for another enterprise, you must apply for a new residence permit.
  • You are not allowed to work remotely unless it is part of the job you have been granted a residence permit to do.
  • You can be granted a permit for two years at a time. You can have this permit for up to six years, then you must live outside Norway for two years before you can apply for a new such permit.
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit. 
  • If your assignment lasts for more than six months, your spouse or cohabitant and your children can apply for family immigration to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.