Self-employed persons with a company in Norway

Requirements of the employee

Requirements relating to your education/qualifications

You must have one of the following types of education/qualifications:

  • A completed vocational training programme of at least three years at upper secondary school level, for example as a carpenter or health worker. There must be a corresponding vocational training programme in Norway.
  • Completed education or degree from a university/ university college, for example a bachelor's degree as an engineer or nurse
  • Special qualifications are skills acquired through long professional experience, possibly in combination with courses and some education. You must have as high competence as someone who has completed vocational education from upper secondary school. Generally, you must have at least six years of work experience. For example, suppose you have work experience as a painter. In that case, you must present detailed work certificates from previous employers that show that you have learned and can do the same as a person with a professional education as a painter. It takes a lot to get permission in such cases. Many applications are rejected.

Requirements relating to the employment

  • You can get a residence permit if it is necessary for the establishment and further operation of the business that you live in Norway and actively participate in the operation of the business.
  • The business concerned must normally be your own sole proprietorship. The business cannot be a limited company. You can only work in this business. You cannot take other work, including remote work.
  • The work you will be doing in the business must require your qualifications as a skilled worker.
  • It must be likely that the business will give you a profit (business income) of at least 

    NOK 296 550 per year pre-tax

  • If the type of business you will be running requires permits from public authorities, you must hold such a permit or a confirmation from the authority that you will be granted such a permit. 

Rights and obligations

  • You can be granted a permit for one year at a time.
  • After three years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
  • Your family members can apply for family immigration to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.