D number

A d number is a temporary identification number that you get if you have applied for protection (asylum), or if you have a residence permit and are going to stay in Norway for less than six months.

You need your d number to open a bank account, to rent a place to live and to pay your taxes.

When do you get a d number?

When you get a d number depends on your situation. You can read more about d numbers on the Tax Administration's website (external website).

  • If you have been granted a residence permit in Norway, you will receive your d number in a letter from the Tax Administration about two weeks after you meet with the police to order your residence card.
  • If you are an asylum seeker, you will receive a d number when you come to Norway. You get it from the UDI or the police (the Police Immigration Service) when you are registered.
  • If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, see information about moving to Norway at the Tax Administration (external website).

Are you going to stay in Norway for more than six months? 

Then you may be entitled to a national identity number.

It is the Tax Administration that gives national identity numbers and decides whether you meet the conditions for being registered as a resident in Norway. If you receive a national identity number, use this instead of your d number.

If you have been granted a residence permit for six months or more, and you believe that you should have been registered as a resident in Norway and received a birth number instead of a d number, you can report a move to Norway. (external website)

Is a DUF number the same as a d number? 

Would you like to help us improving the website?

Did you find what you were looking for?