National identity number

A national identity number is an ID number for those residing in Norway for six months or more.

What do I need a national identity number for?

There are two kinds of identification numbers in Norway: national identity numbers and D numbers. A number of public and private companies require a Norwegian identification number to access their services. With an identification number, you can, for example, open a bank account, get a general practitioner (fastlege) (external website), rent a place to live, pay taxes and be able to vote in elections.  

The national identity number consists of 11 digits. The first six digits normally correspond to your date of birth while the five last digits are known as the "personal number". The first six digits of your identification number may not reflect your date of birth. National identification numbers are issued by the Norwegian Tax Administration and cannot be changed by UDI. 

The Norwegian Tax Administration is responsible for the scheme with identification numbers in Norway (external website), including D numbers.  

How do I get a national identity number?

  • If you have been granted a residence permit in Norway, UDI will send information to the Tax Administration that you will be residing in Norway. After you receive your residence card, they will decide if you get a national identity number or a D number. You will receive information about this in a letter from the Tax Administration about two to six weeks after you have met with the police to order your residence card.  

See information about moving to Norway at the Tax administration (external website)   

I have a national identity number but am registered as emigrated from Norway. What do I do?

There are several reasons why you may be registered as emigrated from Norway in the National Population Register (Folkeregisteret). If you are registered as emigrated because your permit has expired, but you have a new application in process now, you can ask UDI to contact the Tax Administration and have the registered emigration corrected (external website).  

UDI can only do this if we believe that you had legal residence when you were registered as emigrated in the National Popoulation Register. If there are other reasons why you have been registered as emigrated in the National Register, you must contact the Tax Administration (external website).

Did you find what you were looking for?