Stateless persons under the age of 18
If you have right of residence in Norway as a family member of an EU/EEA national (residence card scheme) and you live here on a permanent basis, you can apply for Norwegian citizenship. You must have right of residence both when you apply for Norwegian citizenship and while your application is being processed.
Your parents must apply
Since you are under the age of 18, your parents, or the parent who has sole parental responsibility for you, must apply for Norwegian citizenship on your behalf. If your parents are dead or have forfeited their parental responsibility, your guardian has to submit the application.
If you are over the age of 12, you have to consent to an application for Norwegian citizenship being submitted on your behalf.
Requirements for Norwegian citizenship
- You must have your identity verified. As a general rule, you are required to present a passport.
- You must be residing in Norway and intend to continue living here in the future.
- You must have permanently residence when you apply for Norwegian citizenship and when the application is processed.
- You must have stayed in Norway with a right of residence for the past three years.
- This means that you must have been granted family reunification with an EU/EEA citizen in Norway throughout the three-year period.
- If you over the age of 15 years: You must order a criminal record certificate (external website), which you must hand in with the application. The certificate cannot be more than three months old when you meet for your appointment with the police to submit the application documents. Therefore, you must wait to apply for a criminal record certificate until you know when you have an appointment with the police. If you already have a criminal record certificate that is older than three months, you must apply for a new certificate before you have your appointment. If you have been convicted or fined by the police or if you are under investigation for a criminal offence, you might have to wait longer to become a Norwegian citizen.