Additional education in order for your education to be recognised in Norway

Requirements relating to your education/qualifications

You must have one of the following types of education/qualifications:

  • A completed vocational training programme of at least three years at upper secondary school level, for example as a carpenter or health worker. There must be a corresponding vocational training programme in Norway.
  • Completed education or degree from a university/ university college, for example a bachelor's degree as an engineer or nurse
  • Special qualifications are skills acquired through long professional experience, possibly in combination with courses and some education. You must have as high competence as someone who has completed vocational education from upper secondary school. Generally, you must have at least six years of work experience. For example, suppose you have work experience as a painter. In that case, you must present detailed work certificates from previous employers that show that you have learned and can do the same as a person with a professional education as a painter. It takes a lot to get permission in such cases. Many applications are rejected.

Other requirements of the student

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must have an occupation for which recognition or authorisation is required (external website).
  • You must need additional education, work experience or courses in order for your education to be recognised in Norway.
  • A recognition authority must confirm that you need this work experience/additional education in order to work in Norway, and provide information about what courses, Norwegian classes, work experience or education you are lacking. You will find information about which recognition authority to contact by choosing your occupation from the list at the NOKUT website.  (external website)
  • You must have enough money to live on. This means at least NOK 151 690 for the entire year. This money may consist of student loans, grants, own funds that you have in your account, or a combination of the above. If you have already been offered a part-time job in Norway, the income from this work may be included.
  • If you have to pay tuition fees, you must also have money to cover this.
  • You must have somewhere to live.
  • The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your studies.

Requirements relating to the study programme

Special requirements of health personnel

  • You must apply to the Norwegian Directorate of Health (external website) for authorisation or a licence to work in the Norwegian health care system.
  • You can only be granted a residence permit to take courses that you, according to the Norwegian Directorate of Health, lack in order to obtain a licence or authorisation
  • If you are a nurse, you must have received an offer of admission to a study programme at the nursing education department of a university college. If relevant, you can then apply for exemption from individual courses.
  • If you are to complete your required practical training period ('turnus'), you must apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker instead.

Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a study permit

  • You can not be self-employed or run your own business in Norway.
  • If you are granted a study permit, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, including remote work, in addition to your studies and full-time during holidays.
  • Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time. 
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit. 
  • You can hold such a study permit for a total of maximum two years.