Folk high schools
Requirements of the student
- You must pay an application fee.
- You must have been admitted to a folk high school.
- You must have enough money to live on and to pay the school tuition fees, a minimum of
NOK 110 989 for the 2022/2023 school year. This money may consist of student loans, grants, own funds that you have in a Norwegian bank account or the deposit account of the educational institution, or a combination of the above. If you have already been offered a part-time job in Norway, the income from this work may be included.
- You cannot have had a previous residence permit to attend religion/belief-based school (bible school) or folk high school.
- The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your studies.
Requirements relating to the study programme
- The folk high school must included be on the Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training's list (external website).
Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a study permit
- You can not be self-employed or run your own business in Norway
- If you are granted a study permit, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, including remote work, in addition to your studies and full-time during holidays.
- The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
- Your permit is valid for one year and it cannot be renewed.
- Your family members cannot apply for family immigration to come and live with you in Norway.