University college or university

Requirements of the student

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must have been admitted to a university college or university.
  • You must study full-time.
  • You must have enough money to live on during the period you are going to study in Norway. This means at least

     NOK 13 790 per month, or NOK 151 690 per year 

    for the entire academic year. 

    If you are going to be a student for only one semester in Norway, you must document NOK 68 950 for the autumn semester and NOK 82 740 for the spring semester.

     This amount of money may consist of student loans, grants, own funds that you have in a Norwegian bank account or the deposit account of the educational institution, or a combination of the above. If you have already been offered a part-time job in Norway, the income from this work may be included. (Please note that if you do not have a bank account in Norway you may use the bank account at the institution where you are going to study. You must contact the institution where you are going to study for any details regarding this arrangement.) 
  • If you have to pay tuition fees, you must also have money to cover this or document in your application that your tuition fees for the academic year 2023/2024 have already been paid. If you have paid for one semester, you must provide documentation in your application showing that you have enough money to pay for the second semester. If you have an exemption from paying tuition fees this must be confirmed by your educational institution.
  • You must have somewhere to live.
  • The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your studies.  

Requirements relating to the study programme

Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a study permit

  • You can not be self-employed or run your own business in Norway
  • If you are granted a study permit, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, including remote work, in addition to your studies and full-time during holidays.
  • Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway.
  • Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. Please note that UDI currently does not have the capacity to process your family member’s application at the same time as your application as a student.
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.